We are eager to assist you with your research so read on and prepare for your visit!
The materials available in the reading room do not circulate. Material must be viewed in the reading room during the hours we are open.
Personal belongings are now allowed in the reading room, please see our policies and procedures for exceptions.
Special Collections & University materials are in closed stacks. Researchers must request items at the reference desk.
You can generally make copies, though there are exceptions (e.g., material is restricted from reproduction or too fragile).
Bring a second layer of clothing. It can get chilly.
Feel free to contact us ahead of time with any questions. We are happy to assist you!
Please help us safeguard our valuable and unique materials by observing the following rules:
1. Patrons must create accounts in Aeon. Aeon is a special collections and archives request system. ISU users
can create an account in Aeon using Okta.
2. No food or beverages of any kind are allowed. Jackets, coats, backpacks, purses, etc., must be placed in
the closet and lockers to the right of the front desk.
3. Use only pencil when taking notes,.
4. Use colored note paper provided by department. Your own notebooks or note paper not allowed.
5. Laptops are permitted, laptop bags or sleeves are not.
6. Cameras or photographic equipment may be used with permission. Personal scanners are not permitted.
7. Hands must be clean to handle materials.
8. Researchers are requested to observe the following:
9. All materials must be viewed in the reading room. Materials do not circulate.
10. The use of some materials may be restricted by statute, the office of origin, or by the donor. The researcher must assume full responsibility for fulfilling the terms connected with any restricted material. The Library reserves the right to restrict the use of materials which are not processed, of exceptional value, and/or fragile.
11. For all bound volumes, foam book supports are located in the cabinets above the hold shelves. Book weights are also available in a box located in the far left cabinet. Never put pressure on spines of books.
12. Only one person allowed to handle materials at a time.
13. Off-site/Library Storage Building materials can take up to seven business days to retrieve. Please email email@example.com to request material and schedule your visit.
Please note the reading room is under video surveillance.
Interactive map of ISU campus. Includes locations for parking lots.
Exit at Highway 30 West (exit sign says Iowa State University). Then follow the directions above.
The Reading Room is on the 4th floor, 403 Parks Library.
You will get access to the materials much faster if you contact the archives in advance. Here's why: