Setting up your Raspberry Pi
- Raspberry Pi kits from Parks Library come with a 16GB microSD card with the NOOBS operating system loaded, but not installed.
- For full setup and installation instructions, visit www.raspberrypi.org/qsg
Plugging in your Raspberry Pi
- Begin by slotting the microSD card into the microSD card slot on the Raspberry Pi. It will only fit one way.
- Next, plug in your USB keyboard and mouse into the USB slots on the Raspberry Pi.
- Then connect your HDMI cable from your Raspberry Pi to your monitor or TV.
- If you intend to connect your Raspberry Pi to the internet, plug in an ethernet cable to the ethernet port next to the USB ports or connect to Wi-Fi.
- When you are happy you have plugged all cables and the microSD card in, finally plug in the USB power supply. This action will turn on and boot your Raspberry Pi.
Logging into your Raspberry Pi
- Once your Raspberrry Pi has completed the boot process, a login prompt will appear. The default login is
- username pi
- password raspberry
- Note: you will not see any writing appear when you type the password. This is a security feature in Linux.
- After you have successfully logged in, you will see the command line prompt pi@raspberrypi~$
- To load the graphical user interface, type startx and press Enter on your keyboard.