Researchers who are not affiliated with ISU:
- are not eligible for off-campus access to most of the library research databases or full-text journal articles due to licensing restrictions imposed by the publishers. You do have access to all of our databases and full-text journal articles if you come into the Library. Visitor Cards will not give you off-campus access to library databases.
- can access ISU digital images collections, the Library website, research guides, and many other non-licensed resources from off-campus.
Alternatives to remotely accessing our databases:
- Try using Open-Access databases - these are FREE to use by anyone, anywhere in the world. The Using Journal Article Databases section on the Find Articles Tab has links to several popular, free databases you might want to use. See also our guide to Free Scientific Research Resources.
- Check into getting a State Library of Iowa card (this will provide remote access to a number of research databases offered by the State). Anyone living in Iowa is eligible to get this card and you can apply for it online. For more information on this see their website at: http://www.statelibraryofiowa.org/services/online-resources/resources/accessdb/accessdb2 If you live outside Iowa, check with your state library to see if they have a similar program. Links for each state library are available from this website: http://www.publiclibraries.com/state_library.htm
- Check with your nearest public library to see what databases you might be able to access remotely through their subscriptions.